Making Spirits Berry and Bright

Hi all,

The new year is fast approaching and I have a dessert for your New Year celebrations.  Cranberry Gooey Butter Bars ! Tried this recipe from Betty Crocker and everyone asked for seconds Smile I did cut back on the fat by using egg substitute, low fat cream cheese and also cut back on the powdered sugar. Can honestly say the results were still sweet and the cranberries had just enough tart to compliment the sweet creaminess of the filling.  In rough numbers the carbs were cut from  34g to about 24g +/-.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!  

 See the source image  Have a great 2022!

Enjoy!   Raggedy Anne

Cranberry Gooey Butter Bars

  • Prep 15 MIN
  • Total 3 HR 0 MIN
  • Servings 24

Cranberry Gooey Butter Bars


Cake Base
  • 1 box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ yellow cake mix
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted, cooled slightly
  • 1 egg (used substitute eg. egg beaters)
  • 2 teaspoons orange zest
  • 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened (used low-fat)
  • 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar (I cut this to 1 1/2 cups)
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted, cooled slightly
  • 3 eggs ( I used egg substitute, eg. egg beaters)
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen (thawed) cranberries
Topping ( skipped this step)
  • 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
  • Sweetened whipped cream, if desired


  • 1

    Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom only of 13×9-inch pan with cooking spray.

  • 2

    In large bowl, stir Cake Base ingredients until well blended. Press evenly in pan.

  • 3

    In another large bowl, beat cream cheese and 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until blended. Beat in 1/2 cup melted butter and the eggs, one at a time, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in cranberries. Pour and evenly spread batter into pan over cake base.

  • 4

    Bake 38 to 43 minutes or until golden brown and center is set. Cool completely, about 2 hours.

  • 5

    When ready to serve, sprinkle 1 tablespoon powdered sugar over top. Using sharp knife, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows, cleaning knife blade after each cut. Serve with whipped cream. Store loosely covered in refrigerator.

  • Calories
    260, Calories from Fat
    110, Total Fat 12g 19%, Saturated Fat 7g 37%, Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 60mg 20%, Sodium 230mg 10%, Potassium 45mg 1%, Total Carbohydrate 34g 11%, Sugars 26g, Protein 2g
  • Exchanges:

    1/2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 2 1/2 Fat;